Friday, March 11, 2011

The Post.


The Post. Around 100 years old. Sitting at an intersection in the Deer Park suburb of Louisville, Kentucky.
I walked out of the guitar shop that this is in front of and it caught my eye right away. Two seconds later I was pulling out my phone and taking a picture of it.

Have you ever had one of this moments where you see something and BAM! your mind gets flooded with all of these thoughts and revelations? This was one of those moments for me.

Look at all of those staples. There must have been over a thousand starting about 7 feet high and going to about 2 feet off of the ground.

What must those signs have said?


Or?

I looked at this Post and I immediately thought of myself. We are very similar Mr. Post and I. We both have been around a while (him more than me), we both have seen many changes, and we both have had signs stapled to us.

Signs stapled to us that we had NO CONTROL over.....

Or maybe sometimes we had signs stapled to us (me) that we (I) did have control over.....






I think of all the labels I have had over the years. Some good, some bad.  It's makes me thing of some of the labels Jesus Christ has. Some good, some bad.

Saviour, Prince of Peace to some.
Terrorist, Usurper, and trouble maker to others.

We are a Post. Just like Mr. Post, we have, and will continue to be stapled too.

Some signs are stapled to us, other signs we staple on ourself.

I know that no matter how I act, some people will still staple signs that are untrue on me. But I know that for the signs I do have control over, the ones that I earn, will be good signs.

What signs do I want to earn?

Caring, Understanding, Christian, Confidante, Teacher, Selfless Giver, Unconditional Friend, Hope Inspirer, Hero, Loving Son, Loving Brother, Loving Husband, and some day...Father.

This is what I was:

And by the Merciful Grace of God this is what I am:


Notice the staples are still there. We all have scars of who we were and what we did in the past. They remind us of how we got to where we are. And warn us to never go back.

We all have this opportunity. What will you do? Keep your signs? Or ask Jesus Christ to wash the slate clean?

Here's to acquiring new signs and staples!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about this a lot, and I am not sure what signs I have. I know I post a lot of signs to myself that don't define me like ugly, stupid, mistake, etc. However, I am trying to post the signs that define me in the ways of Christ. There are still staples there, and I am attempting to heal, but one day I will get there. Thanks for sharing, Tim! =]

    ReplyDelete